Our lease has ended and we are closing our Menlo Park location. We’ll be taking appointments for blow outs, keratin, and scalp and conditioning treatments up until October 31st, 2020.
Stylists from Menlo Park will be moving to our Los Altos location, just six miles away. We look forward to seeing you there.
You may be interested in Halo House Calls – Menlo Park stylists are available for blow outs at your home.
All product you have already purchased at our Menlo Park location will be moved to your new location or handed over for your use at home. All gift cards and memberships are always valid at either Halo location.
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Rúna at 415-412-4480. We want to do all we can to make this change as easy as possible on our staff and patrons.
We are grateful for all the experiences we shared with you at our Menlo Park location. Thanks to all of you, our Halo clients, for your loyalty and support. We look forward to more years of great hair with you in Los Altos and Burlingame.
For more information on the re-opening of our other two locations, please visit this post.
As you know, our team of stylists are super-skilled at blow outs. But individually, many also excel in hair cuts and color (and possibly more, you’d have to ask them.)
Fostering those skills and opportunity for our team, we’re encouraging our stylists to offer any services they wish to perform at Halo to any client who requests it.
Please call 800-425-6179 to find out if your Halo stylist is offering any additional services. Upon re-opening, individual services available will be posted at each stylist’s station.
It’s a cake and eat it too situation! One-stop hair-everything at Halo for you, and our stylists have the opportunity to side hustle in the very best way in our fabulous, clean, well-managed, fully-kitted-out salons.
(During this time of COVID regulations, some independent services may not be possible. But something to look forward to!)
What to expect for the best results with your Keratin Complex Smoothing Therapy (not flattening!) or Keratin Complex Express Treatment.
Please review the care recommendations in this post before you make your keratin treatment appointment to be sure you can commit to the practices and purchase any needed item.
- Keratin Smoothing Treatment FAQs (Most frequently asked FAQ? What’s the difference between smoothing therapy and flattening/straitening?)
- Keratin Smoothing Treatment – Seven Time Winner!
- Keratin First-Timer
BEFORE YOUR KERATIN APPOINTMENT
- Get your permanent color, semi-permanent color or highlights directly before your keratin treatment. The treatment seals in the color, making it last longer and appear more vibrant.
- Make sure no event requiring an up-do, hat, or any bands or clips is on your schedule as hair must hang loose for three days after your treatment.
- Review your calendar to be sure nothing requiring your hair to get wet is planned for the three days after your treatment. This includes visits to humid places like the San Francisco Bay, our coast, and aquariums.
- Check the weather forecast. Keratin treatments are fine for rainy days, but you’ll definitely want a rain coat with a loose hood and an umbrella.
- Tell your house mates that your hair must not get wet for three days after.
- Keratin treatments are not recommended for pregnant or nursing women.
- Stock up on sulfate-free shampoo and conditioners. More on this below.
DURING YOUR KERATIN APPOINTMENT
- Please allow a two- to three-hour window for the Natural Keratin Smoothing Treatment and a one-hour window for Express Blow Out.
- Bring some entertainment (you won’t be able to wear earplugs.) Magazines, books, tablet, check your e-mails, play Sudoku, etc.
- Know that you (your stylist, and other Halo guests) are safe. We use Keratin Complex brand. No formaldehyde or harmful chemicals.
FOR THREE DAYS AFTER YOUR KERATIN APPOINTMENT
Care during the 72 hours after your treatment (eight hours for our express keratin treatment) is key for optimal and the longest-lasting results. The means three days of strict adherence to these guidelines:
Do not get your hair wet!
- When you shower, use the absolute best shower cap. The Dry Diva brand – available at every Halo location – has never let us down.
- If you work out and/or sweat, get to a dryer asap. Blow-dry and flat iron with medium to low heat as soon as possible.
- No swimming, not even with a swim cap.
- No saunas, baths, hot tubs, steam showers, skiing, skating.
- Carry an umbrella and a loose rain hat, or even a plastic shower cap, everywhere if rain or fog is in the forecast.
- When you wash your face or brush your teeth, use a shower cap or spa band to hold back your hair. Long hair can get tucked into the back of your shirt to prevent it from falling into water.
- We offer several brands – including Keratin Complex – of dry shampoo, which may be used in small doses. But if you can stand it, embrace your three-day hair as it naturally is.
- Repeat, do not allow your hair to get wet! H2O in all forms – liquid, gas, even solid – is your enemy.
- Avoid making any impressions on the hair from clips, ponytail holders, hats, or sunglasses.
- Resist the urge to tuck your hair behind your ears.
- No up-dos with bands or clips.
- No braids.
- At night, sleep with hair loose.
MORE THAN THREE DAYS AFTER
The Natural Keratin Smoothing Treatment lasts up to five months, and Express Blow Out up to six weeks, depending on lifestyle, maintenance and adherence to all aftercare instructions.
Using shampoos that contain sulfate will ruin your Keratin treatment. To maintain your results, you must use sodium chloride-free hair products. We recommend and carry Keratin Complex brand Keratin Care Shampoo and Conditioner and Keratin Color Care Shampoo and Conditioner.
We recommend that the hair be cut after the treatment, as the hair will have a smoother texture and will lie differently.
We recommend waiting at least two weeks before coloring your hair.
The hair will be more manageable and easy to style, and will be resistant to humidity. It will feel noticeably softer and silkier, with added life, shine and vibrancy.
We’ve started a first-come-first-served waiting list for when we re-open. If you’d like to be added, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and let us know:
• your name,
• contact phone and/or e-mail,
• the service you are looking forward to,
• what day or days of the week work for you,
• AM, PM, a specific time, or any time,
• and if you have a preferred stylist.
You’ll be added to the list to be contacted as appointment slots open. Stay in the loop with the latest Halo re-opening news.
Things are going to look a bit different around Halo for a while. Same dedication to customer care and fabulous hair, of course, but we are also taking seriously our responsibility to prevent the spread of the virus within the Halo community, and so have implemented these protocols.
We thank you in advance for partnering with us in following our COVID policies, which are based upon CDC, Barbicide, Santa Clara County, San Mateo County, and California Board of Cosmetology guidelines and regulations.
We are taking appointments for blow outs (Fabulous Blow Outs and Love Is In The Hair) and keratin, scalp, and deep conditioning treatments. No waxing or makeup application until we can responsibly do so.
THE “BYO WET HAIR” BLOW OUT
For those who want a blow out, but don’t want to commit to a full Fab Blow Out, we’ve created an additional blow dry for these times – arrive for your Fab Blow Out with washed, wet hair. This allows you to skip the wash sinks and go directly to the dryer, limiting your exposure and time in public. It is $37, and takes 30 minutes.
• Please wear a mask at all times. (Yes, we can do keratin treatments and blow outs around a mask!)
• Hand sanitizer is readily available – please use it upon entry.
• Toilets are closed.
• Check-in, check-out, payments, and tips will be touch-less.
• Please maintain social distancing during your visit.
• Please do not bring a friend, partner, or child.
• No animals allowed, including support animals. (American Disability Act animals are welcome.)
• Please avoid touching! That’s of our staff and others, as well as avoidable objects and product displays.
• Please bring as little as possible to your appointment. If you can, do without your purse.
• Please do not wear gloves into our facilities unless you put on a fresh pair as you arrive in our lobby.
• Sadly, at this time, we cannot offer refreshments as we usually do.
• If you, or a house-mate, has any symptoms of sickness please re-schedule your appointment. (Our staff too! We’ll be checking their temperature daily as a precaution.)
PLEASE BE ON TIME!
(Or a few minutes early!) We are on a tight schedule to limit the number of people in our salons at the same time. If you are more than ten minutes late, we will cancel your appointment and bill your credit card so we can be fair to other guests and our stylists, and keep to our social distancing and sanitation protocols.
AT THE DOOR
We are not accepting walk-in appointments right now, but can accommodate product purchases if you’d like to stop by. For those with an appointment, our waiting areas are set up to allow social distancing. Common areas will be cleaned regularly.
We’ll use a touch-less thermometer for a temperature check.
We are no longer taking cash for services and tips. Tips can be left on your credit card or can be paid direct to your stylist via venmo, apple pay etc. We have a list of stylist account information at our front desks for direct payment.
We can now accommodate walk-in product purchases at both locations. Please do not remove products from shelves – ask us! Payment will be touch-less only. You are welcome to call – 800-425-6179 – and place a product order for pick up.
STEPS WE ARE TAKING
• Could go without saying we are stridently sanitizing each stylist station and all common areas.
• All staff members will be wearing a mask.
• We won’t seat any guest closer than six feet apart.
• We’ve removed magazines, brochures, and product samples from our salons.
• Staff will also be receiving daily temperature checks.
We know this is a lot. Our staff has been preparing for this, so if you are unsure, please look to them for guidance.
Halo is re-opening on Friday, January 29th. BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.
We are excited to offer blow outs, keratin treatments, and scalp and hair treatments in Burlingame and Los Altos, Monday through Saturday, 9am to 5pm.
Waxing and make-up treatments will not be available until they can be performed safely.
For appointments, please book on-line or call 800-425-6179.
We’ll be adhering to these Healthy Halo Policies.
Walk-ins will not be allowed at this time–an appointment is required for entry to maintain social distancing and to limit the number of people in a salon at any one time.
Bookmark this page, or follow us on Facebook or Instagram, for updates as conditions change. Please note that any info here can change quickly if San Mateo County (our Burlingame location) or Santa Clara County (our Los Altos location) changes their policies. We’ll do our best to keep you informed.
Thank you all for your support during this shutdown. We look forward to seeing you again.
Oribe Serene Scalp
Two new products join this incredibly popular line from Oribe. Serene Scalp products treat dandruff and help prevent thinning hair with all these benefits:
• Soothes and calms the scalp
• Removes loose dandruff flakes
• Maintains healthy moisture balance of scalp and hair
• Creates an optimal environment for healthy hair
• Hair and scalp are refreshed and rejuvenated
• Formulated without parabens, sulfates or sodium chloride
• Color and keratin treatment safe
• UV protection for hair
• Vegan, cruelty-free and gluten-free
Serene Scalp Thickening Treatment Spray
High-density at your fingertips. Our powerful treatment for thinning hair is proven to leave hair feeling thicker, fuller and healthier. The ultra-lightweight formula instantly plumps hair at the root while creating denser-looking strands over the course of three months.
• After 1 month: 85% saw an improvement in the appearance of their hair*
• After 2 months: 86% said their thinning hair looks thicker*
• After 3 months: More than 8 in 10 said their hair felt significantly fuller*
*Based on a 90-day consumer panel study
Serene Scalp Exfoliating Scrub
Reveal the secret to a healthy scalp. This powerful scrub gently polishes scalp with exfoliating beads to remove oil, dirt and product buildup while a blend of alpha hydroxy acids and fruit extracts cleanses pores and nourishes hair. Scalp is left primed and deeply purified.
The wash and set tribe! How many mothers washed, dried, and chatted at the salon – back in the day? That weekly, day-time visit to the salon was mom’s time to care for herself and catch up on the latest gossip and magazine articles with the other wash-and-set ladies.
Times have changed – and blow out technology too! No more salon dryer hoods and we’re more likely checking social media on our smartphones, than gossiping over an article from a ladies print magazine. But look around Halo during the day-time and you’ll see the ritual of washing, “setting”, and socializing continues. Some things – the rewarding things – remain the same!
The rewarding things? A regularly scheduled me-time appointment can be so much more than just a hair-do – it can be a life-do. We all know that feeling of a great hair day – it’s empowering, satisfying, and adds a little fancy to daily life. If mothers don’t deserve that, we don’t know who does. Why? Well, we know mom, right? Putting herself last, taking care of business and the needs of others. A weekly blow out is a well-earned, calorie-free slice of self-care.
Big “thank you” to all Mommy Haloers – for spending your me-time with us as well as for the work of mothering which benefits us all in the Halo community and beyond.
You’ll look like you’ve struck gold when you use these Oribe Gold Lust hair essentials. They all contain Oribe Signature Complex (Watermelon, Lychee and Edelweiss Flower Extracts) to defend your hair from oxidative stress, photoaging and the deterioration of natural keratin, while protecting from the drying, damaging and color-depleting effects of the elements. With Oribe’s signature scent and hard-working ingredients, you can’t go wrong with these fabulous hair essentials.
How To: Gym to Brunch with Gold Lust Dry Shampoo
At Halo, we’re continually training and working to improve our skills. There’s no better place to learn, and keep up with trends in style, technique and products than at a Oribe Atelier. The Oribe Hair Care Team puts on a good show, as well as packs in the schooling. Check out some of the glam shots – yes, we were working too!